Many of us spend much of our day in an office which in turn makes our ‘Workplace Posture’ extra important. How you sit all day will have a direct effect on your body. If you sit incorrectly hour after hour how can you expect to stand correctly at the end of the day?! So lets take a look at how your workstation measures up.
Here is a checklist you can use as a guide
♦ Your Chair
Should support your lower back
Your feet should rest firmly on the ground (or footrest) slightly in front of you
♦ Your Monitor
Should be directly in front of you, at an arm’s length distance with your eyes at the same level as the tool bar
♦ Your Mouse
Should be positioned close to you near the edge of the desk
♦ Your Keyboard
Should be centered in front of you and near the edge of the desk
How do you know if you are sitting correctly?
- Is your back straight, maintaining all 3 natural curves of your spine
- Is your weight distributed evenly on both hips
- Is your head and neck aligned over your shoulders
- Are you sitting back in your chair; being supported by the seat bac
- Avoid sitting for long periods of time; get up from your chair often. Take a walk, and stretch.
Have you ever considered an exercise break for lunch?
Pilates which teaches you body awareness and how to move more efficiently can be your perfect answer. Learn to use your deep core muscles – the abdominals, back, and pelvic floor – which support your posture this will allow your shoulders to relax, your neck and head to move more freely, and will relieve stress on the hips, legs, and feet.
Pilates Body NYC offers Pilates in your Workplace throughout New York City. Bring wellness and balance to your workplace with a Pilates break.
- A Healthy Diet for People Who Practice Pilates: Knowing What Your Body Needs - May 15, 2017
- How Pilates Benefits MS: A Pilates NYC Case Study - May 1, 2017
- Improving Strength and Flexibility with Susan’s Individualized Pilates Instruction - April 17, 2017
- Pilates for Headache Relief: Skip the Painkillers and Treat Your Whole Body - April 3, 2017
- Pilates is Enjoyable: How Susan Helped Me Move Past My Resistance - March 20, 2017
- Body for Life: How to Have a Great Relationship with You - March 6, 2017
- Exercise Personality: What is Yours and Why Should You Know It? - February 20, 2017
- Pilates Facts: What is the Foundation of Pilates Practice and How Does it Work? - February 13, 2017
- Pilates Tips: Four Ways to Get the Most Out of Your Practice - February 6, 2017
- Teacher or Instructor: Which Do You Prefer for Your Pilates Learning? - January 30, 2017