What makes Pilates Different?
Exercise is all the rage these days and there are more types of fitness fads than cable TV programs how does one know which one to choose? Which program works best for me? My personal pick is Pilates and the five reasons highlighted below explain why:
Pilates Mat Class
1) Body Awareness: Having body awareness is crucial in any fitness program. So many fitness classes have people jumping around with poor form and the mind is completely tuned out. Pilates is different because when you have to focus on any given movement the form improves immensely. Without this key component, it is virtually impossible to improve your fitness level.
2) Control: Before Pilates was called Pilates it was called Contrology or the science of control. For example, when doing a typical crunch the abdominal muscles need to contract. The student needs to learn how to control this movement and not just overwork the neck or hip flexors. Pilates is all about learning control so that what needs to move moves and what needs to remain stable remains stable. This allows for great results in both strength and flexibility training.
3) Safety: Pilates when done the right way is a very safe exercise. By working with a well trained instructor who knows what to do and what not to do the student can progress to higher levels without getting injured. Too many vigorous exercise programs lack control and safety. Students often get injured and then lose several weeks if not more of training. How many times do you hear how someone hurt their shoulder or knee or lower back in a big group class? When an injury occurs the student is set back a long time. Pilates prevents this from happening because it is such a focused and controlled exercise method.
4) Balance: Pilates is a wonderful exercise program to maintain balance. When a body is out of balance, it is far more prone to injury. For example, many times people complain that one leg is longer than another and that is why they have trouble doing certain exercises. Most of the time, one leg really isn’t longer, but one hip is tighter and hiked up giving the appearance of a leg length discrepancy. Over time, this can become a serious problem. Pilates allows the body to return to a balanced state. As the student becomes more aware of his or her body, he or she can correct certain movement patterns that lead to this imbalance.
5) Fountain of Youth: Nothing changes the body like Pilates. Nothing. Not only does it make the body look longer and leaner but it also allows for a more youthful gait. When someone can stand up tall and move with grace and control, it takes years off their appearance. Pilates can be a real fountain of youth.
Pilates is a fantastic base for all forms of movement in addition to being a perfect standalone exercise program. Once you understand how to move and how to remain in control not only do you look and feel better, but all forms of exercise and movement become easier.
Pilates Body NYC is the Upper West Side Pilates studio that comes to you. We make Pilates convenient!
Off the Pilates mat and into the world you go…..
Perhaps you’ve heard it said that Pilates is more than just exercise. I know that I have said it many times.
A Pilates practice has the power to make every activity you do in your everyday life better. Think of your Pilates mat session not only as a workout, but a body lab. Take the sensations of the movements, body awareness, and postural cues you learned in your session out into the world. Incorporate it into your daily life. The lessons learned on the mat can help you with something as simple as walking taller with correct posture, sitting without slouching, to your golf game, tennis, skiing, biking, and even running. Whatever your sport Pilates will be your friend. Your practice will also help you avoid back pain on long car trips and neck pain from spending too much time at a computer.
These are some of the reasons we say that Pilates is more than exercise it is a practice for life! Give Pilates on the mat a try and see for yourself.
Pilates Body NYC is the Upper West Side Pilates Studio that comes to you wherever you are. Pilates made convenient!
What is Pilates concentration & why it makes a difference.
If breathing is the physical key to attaining mind-body awareness, then concentration is the mental key. Concentration can be thought of as the conscious control of a movement or exercise which concurrently enhances body awareness. Proper concentration allows you to do a Pilates movement as you simultaneously focus on other variables of that particular movement/exercise – like being in the right position, having your shoulders in the right place or making sure your back feels OK. Concentrating on the full movement and all of its components.
In everyday life
By using concentration in order to make a strong mind-body connection, you become more focused on where your body is in space in relation to what is physically going on around you. This leads to more balanced, graceful movements and reactions.
Let’s be practical.
Say you’re standing while riding on a crowded subway or you’re in a mall that’s packed with shoppers. Creating that inward focus will affect your outward movement. You’ll find that you are able to withstand the bumps and jerks of the subway car without being thrown off balance or pass by other shoppers without being jostled as much.
Pay attention. Concentrate.
Pilates Body NYC is the Upper West Side Pilates studio that comes to you wherever you are. Pilates made convenient.
What will Pilates exercises do for you?
Before & After
Are you looking to get fit and have a better quality of life? Pilates is the answer.
“I must be right. Never an aspirin. Never injured a day in my life. The whole country, the whole world, should be doing my exercises. They’d be happier.” — Joseph Hubertus Pilates, in 1965, age 86
All different types of people, at different fitness levels who have begun doing Pilates exercises say they’ve seen improvements in range of motion, flexibility, posture and abdominal strength. My clients all say they stand taller and they all have become more aware of their bodies.
So you ask what can Pilates do for you, read on and I will tell you more.
Pilates Exercises are Adaptable to Many Fitness Levels
Whether you are 50+ or just starting to exercise, an elite athlete or somewhere in between, the foundations of Pilates movement apply to you. Building from core strength, focusing on proper alignment, and a body mind approach make Pilates accessible to all. Pilates exercises can be tailored to individual needs.
The creator of Pilates, Joseph Pilates was adamant that Pilates, was about “the complete coordination of body, mind, and spirit.” This is one of the differences of Pilates exercise: we practice each movement with total attention. When we exercise in this way, the body and mind unite to bring forth the most benefit possible from each exercise. The Pilates principles — centering, concentration, control, precision, breath, and flow — are key concepts that we use to integrate body and mind.
Pilates trains the body as an integrated whole. The Pilates exercise workouts promote strength and balanced muscle development as well as flexibility and increased range of motion for the joints.Attention to core support and full-body fitness — including the breath and the mind — provide a level of integrative fitness.
Creates Strength without Bulk
Long, lean muscles are the name of the game here. In Pilates, we are not looking to build muscles for show. We are building toned muscles that work perfectly within the context of the body as a whole, and needs of a person as they move through life.
In Pilates, we work toward a safe increase of stretch and range of motion. A body that can stretch and bend to meet the flow of life is a very realistic goal.
Develops Core Strength
Pilates and Core strength go to together like Love & Marriage, Horse & Carriage. The core muscles of the body are the deep muscles of the back, abdomen, and pelvic floor. These are the muscles we rely on to support a strong, back, good posture, and efficient movement patterns. When the core is strong, the frame of the body is supported. This means the neck and shoulders can relax, and the rest of the muscles and joints are freed to do their jobs — and not more. A nice side benefit is that the core training promotes the flat abs that we all want.
Good posture is a reflection of good alignment supported by a strong core. It is a position from which one can move freely. Pilates exercises, train the body to have both strength & balance.
It might seem like a paradox, but the more you exercise, the more energy you have and the more you feel like doing. Pilates gets the breath and circulation moving, and floods the body with the good feelings, the ones you get from exercising the whole body. After a workout my clients always feel rejuvenated & refreshed.
How long does it take to feel the effects of Pilates?
30 Sessions to a whole new body!
“In 10 sessions, you will feel the difference. In 20, you will see the difference. And in 30, you’ll be on your way to having a whole new body.” ~ Joseph Pilates
You don’t need fancy equipment, just grab a mat and start your journey.
Pilates Body NYC is the Upper West Side Pilates studio that comes to you wherever you are. Pilates made convenient!
Pilates and Props. Add magic or have a ball! Pilates Mat work gets even better when props are incorporated into the workout. Props will help modify an exercise to make it more doable, add a challenge by making an exercise more difficult or spice up your mat workout with variety.
It is important to keep in mind even when using props that the real effort for the exercise comes from within your own body. The prop is merely a tool it should not take over the exercise. At all times while performing a Pilates exercise do not lose sight of your body mind connection. The emphasis is in making the body stronger and more flexible. Props or Pilates equipment will help you get there.
Popular Pilates Props
The Thera Band creates resistance and has been used for years in rehabilitation
The Fitness balls will help you connect to your abs or feel those hamstrings.
The free weights for tank top arms
The Foam Roller will help you release the tension of your day or challenge your stability
The Magic Circle offers gentle to moderate resistance to an exercise and will do its magic with your inner & outer thighs
The Pilates Arc/Spine Corrector the goal is to enjoy the health benefits of a fit, flexible, and supple spine that moves freely in all directions.
Pilates Mat work is the foundation of the Pilates system.
Joseph Pilates was ahead of his time viewing the whole body holistically. In his own words, “The Pilates method develops the body uniformly, corrects wrong postures, restores physical vitality, invigorates the mind, and elevates the spirit.”
Pilates Body NYC is the Upper West Side Pilates studio that comes to you wherever you are for unsurpassed personal mat work. We will be by your side to help you achieve any health or fitness goal. You supply your body we supply the rest. Fitness made convenient!