OK I know I have a prejudice for Pilates mat work after all it’s what I teach, but I can list very sound reasons for you to at least give it a try! So let’s roll out your Pilates mat and get started.
- New to Pilates or are you a beginner? Pilates fundamentals can be learned more easily on the mat. All the basics can be found in the mat work.
- You learn to use your own inner springs. It’s your body and the mat.
- Mat skills will be very helpful to you if you decide you want to work out on the equipment.
- Looking for a challenge. Pilates on the mat is just that!
- It is easy to apply the Pilates principals to your mat work. Centering, concentration, control, breadth, precision and flow.
- Mat classes are more affordable than equipment classes and you will still get all the wonderful benefits that Pilates has to offer.
- Pilates mat work goes where you go. No excuses. No matter where you go in the world your Pilates mat practice goes with you.
- Pilates on the mat is more than exercise it’s a practice of self-awareness that you take with you from the mat to your everyday life.
Ready to give Pilates on the mat a try? Pilates Body NYC makes it simple and convenient. We are the NYC Upper West Side Pilates studio that comes to you. In-Home Pilates on the Pilates mat, Personal, Private, Focused & Effective. Let’s roll out your Pilates mat and get started! I look forward to sharing my passion of Pilates with you.
Are you married to stress or just engaged?
By Stan Cohen
Are you one of those people who don’t quite “get it” when someone uses the term “relax” in reference to muscles and joints?
Think of it using this term instead: “disengage” I have found recently that some students who have been in class for a while are still holding too much stress and corresponding tension in their joints and muscles.
As much as I tell them they need to relax and soften up the arms, hands, shoulders, hips, thighs, knees and so on they seem to keep on keeping on with the same tension.
They appeared to be married to their stress and tension for better or for worse. I found out that they were not married to it, they were only engaged and did not realize it.
So, I used the term disengage with a few and voila! It was magical for them.
Think of these two truths (according to Stan)
- Movement is learning to disengage certain muscle groups and engage others in a coordinated and fluid method.
- Relaxing is learning to connect to the mental and physical parts of yourself that are actively engaged in stress and disengage them.If you are a high stress personality, work in a high stress situation or just want to relax, this form of movement and exercise may be prime for you and extremely beneficial to your overall health.
Body Mind Programs such as Tai Chi, Pilates and Yoga include this form of training as one of the core aspects of their gentle, controlled fluid movement.
For more info on Stan’s Programs
Contact Stan Cohen via email: firstname.lastname@example.org or via phone: 908.857.0271
Mailing address: PO Box 182, Port Murray, NJ 07865
Slow down, you move too fast
You got to make the morning last
Just kicking down the cobblestones
Looking for fun and feelin’ groovy
Ba da da da da da da, feelin’ groovy ~ Paul Simon
“Fast we can only do what we already know. That is how the brain works. To learn and master new skills and overcome limitation, the first thing to do is slow way down. Slow actually gets the brain’s attention and stimulates the formation of rich new neural patterns. Slow gets us out of the automatic mode in our movements, speech, thoughts and social interactions.” -Anat Baniel
Learn the practice of Pilates with slow deliberate movements. Use your mind to move your body.
Pilates Body NYC is the New York City Pilates studio that comes to you wherever you are. Our specialty is Private Pilates Instruction. Another words our specialty is you!
I cannot always control what goes on outside. But I can always control what goes on inside.
Movement with ‘control’ is one of the six principals that sets Pilates apart from other exercise practices. I should state right from the start that Joseph Pilates did not name what is now known as the ‘Pilates Principals’. They were derived from his concepts and later named.
So what does movement with control actually mean…..
Have you ever seen a level of control over one’s body that is breathtaking to watch? I know I have. I watch in awe, as I bet many of you do.
Don’t worry you don’t have to go to the same lengths to control your own movements in Pilates. But, working towards increasing your control while engaged in an exercise should always be in the forefront of your mind. Control of your movement allows you to get the most out of your Pilates workout. When using control in a Pilates exercise, it become less about the intensity or multiple “reps” that you are doing, and more about using proper form to achieve safe, effective results.
What does moving with control mean? I will explain. It means using your muscles to stabilize your body as you lift and lower your limbs, rather than flinging them through the air like wet noodles. It means drawing your deepest abdominal muscles towards your spine as you roll up from the mat, one vertebra at a time, as opposed to the jerking motion of old style sit-ups and crunches. It means being aware of how your body should move in each exercise and working towards achieving that movement. It means committing yourself fully to each exercise and moving deliberately and intentionally.
Control of movement is not something that can be achieved overnight. However, you can work towards control in each movement of your workout. Pilates is a practice and each time you practice you get a little bit better. Use the modifications that your teacher gives you, they are meant to help you! When you feel that you’ve lost ‘control’ of the movement it’s your cue to stop.
Control takes concentration; it is your mind and body working together. Make a commitment to yourself to gain better control of your body not just when you exercise but in your everyday activities. Pilates is more than exercise it is a practice for life.
“Breathing in, I calm body and mind. Breathing out, I smile. Dwelling in the present moment I know this is the only moment.” ― Thich Nhat Hanh
Pilates Body NYC is the Upper West Side Pilates studio that comes to you where you are and works around your schedule. Fitness made convenient.