Are you married to stress or just engaged?
By Stan Cohen
Are you one of those people who don’t quite “get it” when someone uses the term “relax” in reference to muscles and joints?
Think of it using this term instead: “disengage” I have found recently that some students who have been in class for a while are still holding too much stress and corresponding tension in their joints and muscles.
As much as I tell them they need to relax and soften up the arms, hands, shoulders, hips, thighs, knees and so on they seem to keep on keeping on with the same tension.
They appeared to be married to their stress and tension for better or for worse. I found out that they were not married to it, they were only engaged and did not realize it.
So, I used the term disengage with a few and voila! It was magical for them.
Think of these two truths (according to Stan)
- Movement is learning to disengage certain muscle groups and engage others in a coordinated and fluid method.
- Relaxing is learning to connect to the mental and physical parts of yourself that are actively engaged in stress and disengage them.If you are a high stress personality, work in a high stress situation or just want to relax, this form of movement and exercise may be prime for you and extremely beneficial to your overall health.
For more info on Stan’s Programs
Contact Stan Cohen via email: firstname.lastname@example.org or via phone: 908.857.0271
Mailing address: PO Box 182, Port Murray, NJ 07865
- A Healthy Diet for People Who Practice Pilates: Knowing What Your Body Needs - May 15, 2017
- How Pilates Benefits MS: A Pilates NYC Case Study - May 1, 2017
- Improving Strength and Flexibility with Susan’s Individualized Pilates Instruction - April 17, 2017
- Pilates for Headache Relief: Skip the Painkillers and Treat Your Whole Body - April 3, 2017
- Pilates is Enjoyable: How Susan Helped Me Move Past My Resistance - March 20, 2017
- Body for Life: How to Have a Great Relationship with You - March 6, 2017
- Exercise Personality: What is Yours and Why Should You Know It? - February 20, 2017
- Pilates Facts: What is the Foundation of Pilates Practice and How Does it Work? - February 13, 2017
- Pilates Tips: Four Ways to Get the Most Out of Your Practice - February 6, 2017
- Teacher or Instructor: Which Do You Prefer for Your Pilates Learning? - January 30, 2017