What makes Pilates Different?
Exercise is all the rage these days and there are more types of fitness fads than cable TV programs how does one know which one to choose? Which program works best for me? My personal pick is Pilates and the five reasons highlighted below explain why:
1) Body Awareness: Having body awareness is crucial in any fitness program. So many fitness classes have people jumping around with poor form and the mind is completely tuned out. Pilates is different because when you have to focus on any given movement the form improves immensely. Without this key component, it is virtually impossible to improve your fitness level.
2) Control: Before Pilates was called Pilates it was called Contrology or the science of control. For example, when doing a typical crunch the abdominal muscles need to contract. The student needs to learn how to control this movement and not just overwork the neck or hip flexors. Pilates is all about learning control so that what needs to move moves and what needs to remain stable remains stable. This allows for great results in both strength and flexibility training.
3) Safety: Pilates when done the right way is a very safe exercise. By working with a well trained instructor who knows what to do and what not to do the student can progress to higher levels without getting injured. Too many vigorous exercise programs lack control and safety. Students often get injured and then lose several weeks if not more of training. How many times do you hear how someone hurt their shoulder or knee or lower back in a big group class? When an injury occurs the student is set back a long time. Pilates prevents this from happening because it is such a focused and controlled exercise method.
4) Balance: Pilates is a wonderful exercise program to maintain balance. When a body is out of balance, it is far more prone to injury. For example, many times people complain that one leg is longer than another and that is why they have trouble doing certain exercises. Most of the time, one leg really isn’t longer, but one hip is tighter and hiked up giving the appearance of a leg length discrepancy. Over time, this can become a serious problem. Pilates allows the body to return to a balanced state. As the student becomes more aware of his or her body, he or she can correct certain movement patterns that lead to this imbalance.
5) Fountain of Youth: Nothing changes the body like Pilates. Nothing. Not only does it make the body look longer and leaner but it also allows for a more youthful gait. When someone can stand up tall and move with grace and control, it takes years off their appearance. Pilates can be a real fountain of youth.
Pilates is a fantastic base for all forms of movement in addition to being a perfect standalone exercise program. Once you understand how to move and how to remain in control not only do you look and feel better, but all forms of exercise and movement become easier.
Pilates Body NYC is the Upper West Side Pilates studio that comes to you. We make Pilates convenient!